Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 1 cup low-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1/4 cup light teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder or
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound flank steak, cut against the grain into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 cups broccoli flowerets (1/2 of a 1-pound bag)
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 bag (8 ounces) carrot matchsticks
- Cooked brown rice
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add flank steak and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside. Drain any fat from pan.
3. Return skillet to medium-high heat; add broccoli and1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove cover; cook until water has evaporated. Add remaining teaspoon of vegetable oil to pan; add peppers and red onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add carrots; cook 1 minute.
4. Return beef to skillet. Add sauce; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with brown rice.